El Salvador’s Bitcoin bet doesn’t appear to be paying off.
The value of the 2,301 Bitcoin drops to its lowest point since December 2020.purchased by the Latin American country has now fallen by $37 million as the price of
President Nayib Bukele has spent a total of $103 million on Bitcoin, according to data compiled by Bloomberg, after El Salvador made the cryptocurrency legal tender last year. Currently, El Salvador’s Bitcoin treasury has a value of $65.6 million.
Seemingly undeterred by the latest market crash, Bukele, on May 9, announced that he had purchased another 500 BTC, tweeting that El Salvador was “buying the dip.” That purchase, which was worth roughly $15.3 million at the time, is now worth around $14.1 million.
Bukele has come under criticism for the lack of transparency in how El Salvador is managing its Bitcoin holdings, who control the private keys, and the use of public money for the president’s Bitcoin project.
Despite warnings from U.S. officials, the banking sector, and the International Monetary Fund—as well as protests against Bitcoin adoption by his own citizens—Bukele has not slowed down his plans, recently unveiling his proposal for a “Bitcoin City.”
Copy article link
The best of Decrypt straight to your inbox.
Get the top stories curated daily, weekly roundups & deep dives straight to your inbox.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
Cryptocurrency news, blockchain news, markets news, cryptocurrency analysis, cryptocurrencies prices.